Under Section 90 (4) (a) and (b) of the Mental Health Act 2009 (the Act), the Chief Psychiatrist has ‘the authority to conduct inspections of the premises and operations of any hospital that is an incorporated hospital under the Health Care Act 2008; and be taken to be an inspector under Part 10 of the Health Care Act 2008.’
Under Section 91 (1), (2) and (3) of the Act, the Chief Psychiatrist may delegate a power or function of the Chief Psychiatrist to another person
The following investigations have been undertaken using the above powers:
- Review of Youth Mental Health
- Review of Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) on the Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjajara (APY) Lands.
- Investigation by Office of Chief Psychiatrist - Women's and Children's Hospital - Parents for Change Complaint Response
- Focussed Inspections of Older Persons Mental Health Services in Regional South Australia
- Interim Recommendation from Review into the Provision of Mental Health Services in Country Regions